More recollections from Past KCIBRs
I think that putting some of the history on the website is a great idea-especially with the anniversary coming. Here are a couple of
corrections and additions.
* Susan Bell, City of Haines (not Chamber of Commerce).
* I am sad to report that I have missed a few years.
* The first year was part of a cross-border celebration called Dalton Trail Days. The event commemorated the 50th anniversary of the Haines
Highway (constructed in 1943-one year after the Alaska highway).
* The City of Haines really wanted a signature event that was similar to the Klondike Road Relay. A mid-winter meeting in Haines Junction
between the respective Chambers of Commerce and me as the City of Haines Tourism Director resulted in the commitment
* I can't say enough good things about Pat Egan. He was out of town during the initial planning meeting, but was conscripted by Haines Junction
residents. He added a lot of valuable input concerning safety, timing, and Yukon involvement.
* The date was moved after the first year because of the conflict with the Nick Frangos Memorial race/ride, which was important to Juneau
* John Wray, on behalf of cyclists in Juneau, was very helpful in supporting the Kluane to Chilkat Bike Relay after the first event-especially
concerning bike safety.
Susan K. Bell
State of Alaska
Department of Commerce, Community
& Economic Development