Rules for All Participants
Violations of any of the REQUIREMENT rules will result in team disqualification.
1. TEAM CAPTAIN: Teams must designate a captain but captains do not have to be a rider.
2. COURTESY: All riders, drivers, and spectators are required to be courteous to fellow riders, volunteers and race officials. Directions and requests of race officials must be followed.
3. SIGN OFF: Team Captains or their representatives will be required to sign off, when picking up their Race Kit, acknowledging that they, and all team members have read, understand and will obey the Race Rules.
4. WAIVERS: Any changes being made to riders or the order of riders are subject to applicable change fees (see Registration Tab) and must be accompanied by appropriate rider information and waivers signed by any new participant. Changes to riders (team members) will not be accepted without a signed waiver for the new rider which is handed in at package pickup.
5. CAPTAINS MEETING: Each Captain or their representative should attend the Captains' Meeting at 9:00 p.m. Friday at the Haines Junction Convention Center. Whitehorse Team Captains have the option of attending a Race Package Pick Up and Captains' Meeting at the Mt Mac Rec Centre on the Tuesday night from 6:00-9:00 PM. Even if you've been in the event before, each team should send a representative as there are always last minute updates. We promise to keep the meeting to less than 30 minutes!
6. CHECKPOINTS: See Checkpoint and Finish Line Directions.
7. MULTIPLE STAGES: Riders completing multiple stages must ride consecutive legs. No leap frogging.
8. CHANGES TO THE EVENT: Race Officials, in conjunction with the KCIBRA Board, reserve the right to make last-minute changes to the event if deemed necessary for safety reasons. Possible reasons could include weather, road, or wildlife conditions. Changes would be communicated as best as possible via the Captains' Meetings, Start Line Announcements, and announcements made at each checkpoint.
Suggestions and Information
A. ROAD CLOSURE: The Haines Highway will be closed on the Saturday as follows:
- Southbound at bridge in Haines Junction 8:15 a.m. – 9:30 AM
- Northbound at Kathleen River 8:30 – 10:15 AM (Yukon Times)
B. LEG 2 RIDER DROP OFF: All Leg 2 riders MUST BE south of the Start Line BEFORE the southbound road closure takes effect at 8:15 AM Yukon Time. Support vehicles are required to go beyond the area of the road closure in order to support riders on Legs 1 and 2. The southbound road closure extends from the start line to approximately kilometre 3.8 (which is at the beginning of a pull off on the left at the top of a hill). Due to traffic congestion and safety concerns in leg 1, only 1 support vehicle per team should be active in leg 1 south of the road closure. There will be restrictive traffic controls in place at Checkpoint 1. Please refer to the Checkpoint 1 section of the rules.
C. MANDATORY LEG 8 START TIME: All riders must start riding Leg 8 by 7:00 PM Alaska Time regardless of whether your Leg 7 rider has entered the checkpoint. All times will be adjusted to calculate the total race time. Teams which use the mandatory start time for leg 8 are not eligible for the Red Lantern award.
D. TEAM TIME SHEETS: Team Captains must hand in the blue time sheet at the FINISH LINE AREA completely and clearly filled out. Disputes over timing will not be addressed without a blue time sheet.
E. RACE FINISH CLOSURE: The race finish area will officially close at 9:00 PM Alaska time. Teams finishing after this time will not get an official result.
F. LEG 7 RIDERS: Leg 7 riders MUST STOP AT U.S. CUSTOMS and SHOW PASSPORT ID and other required documents.
G. BORDER CROSSING: Please ensure everyone has their Passports and any other documents required to cross the US and Canadian borders.
H. ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION AT BANQUET IN HAINES: Alcoholic beverages can only be consumed in the designated area adjacent to the finish line and banquet supper area. Please respect local bylaws if you are consuming alcholic beverages!
I. START TIMES: Start times are staggered with the first start at 8:30. The schedule for start times is as follows:
Race Start Times are based on what is felt to be the SAFEST start order. Please remember this is a recreational event with a primary focus on fun, participation, and safety.
**** CHANGED FOR 2013 - NEW RACE START TIMES ****
⇒ 8:30 AM: Solo, 2 Person, and 4 Person teams self-seeded into "competitive" and "recreational" start lines (*See Note below)
⇒ 8:40 AM: 8 Person teams
Note: An attempt at defining types of riders....
Competitive Riders = riders who are training for many months for this event
Recreational Riders = riders who have done some (a few weeks) or little training for this event