There is no 'bad' weather during this event. But there is inappropriate clothing!! Please note the weather can be quite variable. You are crossing a high mountain pass and should be prepared for heat, rain, snow and high winds or a combination of all of these depending on which stage(s) you are riding.
Be prepared with food, fluid and dry clothing. Hypothermia has been a problem for some riders through the pass.
Weather conditions over the years:
- 1998 tailwinds and sunshine
- 1999 cold, overcast at the start with rain beginning on Leg 2, very, very wet through the pass and hypothermic participants
- 2000 cool, headwinds, high cloud cover, periodic drizzle at higher elevation checkpoints
- 2001 warm with drizzle in Haines Junction; warm & sunny from Checkpoint #2 to Haines, Alaska; steady North wind.
- 2002 warm & sunny throughout, primarily a tailwind except leg 7 and 8 for the latter part of the day.
- 2003 sunny and hot with light winds
- 2004 sunny and very hot, tailwinds with a light headwind on Leg 8
- 2005 similar to 2003 and 2004
- 2006 - very similar to 2007 - rain and light headwind into Haines - temps 10 to 15C - showers through the pass
- 2007 - light wind, light rain, 8C at start, - partly cloudy 20C at finish
- 2008 - light north wind 5C, sunny start - fog at summit, fair, 12C finish
- 2009 - cloudy, light wind 5C at start, mainly sunny 11C summit, windy 17C finish
- 2010 - sunny, winds light 4C at start, sunny with gusty south and crosswinds Leg 2 to Leg 5, sunny warm Finish 18C
- 2011 - sunny 7C at the start , calm then becoming light north wind, rain showers from summit to finish, 15C Haines